Project 2020 Wagon
The Russian Railway (RZD), represented by the Director for Passenger Transportation, announced the imminent replenishment of the company's fleet with new type of cars. A completely breakthrough concept of the Project 2020 railcars for Russian Railways is being developed by the non-profit organization Consortium of Centers of Economic Programs and Strategies. By implementing a new project in the field of long-distance trains, the Russian Railways expects to significantly reduce the cost of travel, thereby increasing passenger traffic and competing adequately with air and road transport.
The car of a new generation
First of all, it should be noted that for the first time in the history of domestic car building, when developing the design of a railway car, namely a car of the project 2020, the wishes of passengers will be taken into account. In the course of opinion polls of more than one hundred Russians, experts noted the most painful issues. Russian Railways paid special attention to studying the issue of comfortable travel with young children.
It is expected that the updated rolling stocks will be put into operation by the end of 2019. Type 2020 wagons, developed under the leadership of Nikolai Sirotov, chief designer of the Tver Carriage Works, will radically differ from the first-generation double-decker cars and type 2019 cars. Experts note several new improved consumer and technical and economic characteristics:
- A fundamentally new level of comfort. The previous shelves will be replaced with wider sofas with headrests. Near each berth, blinds are mounted for privacy. Each passenger seat will be equipped with a separate lighting fixture, a USB connector and a power outlet. Toilet rooms are equipped with changing tables, hand dryers, and automatic sanitary ware.
- Organization of self-service areas. Poor passenger service technology involves reducing the number of conductors. Their functions will be performed by self-service areas with vending machines. Russian Railways promises to provide a wide range of products.
- Installation of a modern video surveillance system. Allows you to monitor compliance with safety rules at the highest level.
- Improved weight and size characteristics. A lightweight aluminum body and modern polymeric materials will make it possible to make a wagon per one seat, twice as lighter and shorter than the old one-story compartment wagons. Compared with the two-story 4465 models, as well as the first-generation double-decker cars, the design will be one third lighter and 1-2 meters shorter.
- Using a three-in-one scheme. That is, three cars will be combined among themselves, which allows you to win a large amount of space inside. Such a seemingly bulky wagon, due to light weight, will be placed on two pairs of wheeled trolleys, instead of the six previous ones.
Interesting! Modern rolling stocks will soon appear not only on the Russian railway, but also in the subway. The development of the Wagon 2020 project was initiated by the transport committee. The leading high-tech enterprises and research institutes of the country are developing a new concept for comfortable transportation in the subway. The compositions of the new generation will appear in the coming years in the subway of Moscow and St. Petersburg.
New carriage classes
Director of NP KTsEPS Vladimir Egorkin spoke in detail about the configuration of the car 2020. The head of the concept development company explained that there will be three classes of service in the new Russian Railways wagons with barrier-free transitions between sections:
- traditional 4-seater coupe;
- new class in the form of a single compartment;
- Superior compartment with 1-2 seater accommodation and individual bathroom.
The capacity of the passenger carriage will be equal to the total capacity of 3.5 second-class carriages or 5 old-style compartment cars. In total, 84 passengers can simultaneously accommodate 84 passengers. As promised, 12 toilets, several areas with automatic machines, luggage storage rooms and one compartment for the guide will be equipped for so many people.
For clarity, the non-profit partnership “KCEPS” for Russian Railways ordered a booklet on the concept of a new two-story triple wagon 2020 in the graphic design studio. The Sensible Approach studio depicted a possible color version of the wagons. Also shown in color is the internal structure of rolling stock and the layout and connection of zones. The publication contains detailed information about the main technical characteristics of the wagon of the project 2020.
For information: When boarding and leaving passengers on trains 2020, station brigades will be involved to help the conductor.
Directions will become more comfortable and cheaper.
The economic unit of the concept of the new car 2020 is designed to achieve two main goals:
- increase in passenger accommodation;
- reduction in transportation costs.
To date, the situation in railway communication is such that if you convert the time spent on the journey in the train compartment into a monetary equivalent, then its cost is much more expensive than the cost of air tickets. The fare in a reserved seat car is affordable for almost all residents of the Russian Federation, but the level of comfort leaves much to be desired. For these reasons, Russian Railways annually loses thousands of customers. Things are especially critical on routes ranging from 500 to 2,000 km. People moving over such distances give preference to airplanes and cars.
Innovative solutions, such as reducing the composition of the train crew, reducing the cost of the wagon itself and increasing the volume of passengers per square meter will reduce the fare by almost half. Russian Railways has high hopes for new wagon reform projects. It is expected that an increased level of comfort in passenger trains such as 2019 and 2020, together with a lower cost of tickets, will be a real breakthrough in domestic car building and the railway industry.